September 13, 2013

40 Ford is PAINTED and re-assembly begins






Bumper brackets got several coats of Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black. I've found it to be one R                                                                                                                                    

As well, I started measuring and cutting the fender welting, which goes between the fenders and body, which gives these cars a beautifully finished look. It was originally designed to lessen metal-on-metal noise.




               All the parts that were boxed and stored at the end of last winter were pulled out and sorted for re-assembly -







                             Don't forget to check out my website:  www.E-tekRestorations.com 

September 12, 2013

Lots happening again at the E-tek Rod Shop!

The 40 Ford Rod about to painted:







     A couple of the smaller pieces where painted first to double check the color:  CHECK!

Leonard picked a winner with Stormy Blue Mica -



At the same time, the '68 Camaro is in tear-down mode as we await the quarters and door shells:


Pretty clean for a '68 though...


The rear seat frame was never painted, but although it's rusty, it's still solid.


 A perfect candidate for POR15. When the car goes back together it'll get new Jute and all new upholstery.

Parts - bagged tagged and piling up!


Found this interesting bit under the Left Quarter Trim Panel.....could it be one of those famous factory lineman autographs we've heard so much about? Or did the last restorer do that?

The other thing you'll notice is the damage and slide hammer holes. This is on the INSIDE panel remember - likely meaning the car was in a MAJOR accident at some point.....


The 240Z was SO close to being painted.....then I got sidetracked and changed my MIND on the color.  I was trying my BEST to talk myself into the color I mixed, but I just couldn't do it.  It all happened because I'm so PICKY I had to fix a few more things, then I saw the color for the 40Ford (Leonard picked a winner!) and it didn't help that my 9 year old son HATED the color I mixed!

So here it sits - awaiting a few minor repairs, a door gap adjustment - and a different color.







Don't forget to check out my website at www.E-tekRestorations.com !

September 2, 2013

'68 Camaro Z-28 Restoration - Teardown

A lot of cars look good driving down the road. Most look good in photo's too. Well here's a car a that looks good in both - but the closer one gets, the more one really see's...


Upon removing the trunk lid I noticed that it fit well, so I decided to drill some alignment holes. I don't always do this, but when something fits  it's worth it to keep it that way and save some grief on re-assembly.



On a side note - It's critical to keep storage spaces - especially vehicle storage spaces - DRY. One cannot do enough to ensure that this is the case and I find it's best to use several different methods to ensure that moisture is kept at bay. Unfortunately, the Camaro must have been in a mosit storage space as evidence of water damage can be seen in the trunk floor - which has rust stains from parts that were stored in it.

Hopefully the actual floor under the black paint and sealant isn't too much worse.


The moisture rusted any exposed metal, like these pieces and nuts under the trunk spoiler -


And even the contact screws on the Amp. Lucky, the owner got it out of whatever storage it was in.



Chrome work will need to be redone to match the new paint!


Here's how the first restoration was done.....and if you know what you're looking at, well....nuff said.


But, if you need some help, you're looking inside the trunk, up under the side quarter. ;)   The last hackers just chopped the original quarters off "somewhere in the middle", then stuck re-popped quarters on over top, filling the overlaps with filler. The worst kind of restoration for sure. My Dad used to say he wouldn't let someone like this work on his wheel-barrel!!


 They didn't even TRY to seal the overlaps much less bother to cover the bare welds....



When I removed the trunk lid, I noticed "add-on" weather-stripping used to seal the lid against the trunk rubber. Also not a good sign, so maybe drilling those alignment holes was for naught!


The deconstruction continues.....