October 4, 2015

Ford Runabout Rod Build: Mocking up the E-rod

 Well, after collecting most everything needed to build a rod - then having it all sit around the yard for a year - I finally got to pulling it all together and into the shop - yay!

After humming and hawing for weeks about whether to use a custom frame made from 2x3" tubing, I finally said 'fluff-it" and decided to use the original frame for the project. Reasons being are 2-fold: First and foremost, I already have it. Second, It's an ORIGINAL Ford piece. And third (did I say 2-fold?) it's made of good old FORD Vanadium steel and I've been reading a lot about Ford's use of Vanadium so I'm fairly sure it will be able to withstand the Flathead power and hold the even lighter than stock bodywork.

I measured the flatty and the body shell against the frame and then pulled the shell to where it should sit going forward -

                  Then, I cut the rear portion of the box-frame off the body shell with the sawzall -


Leaving just the frame section protruding underneath. 
This section will be cut and Z'd next in order to get the ride-height set.

Here is it, ready to set the engine in between the frame rails. Once I get it sitting in there I will be able to measure for the engine mounts. Of course I still need to pull the truck-only front mount off and replace the water pumps with ones that have the integral mounts on them.

Just a little of the bling I've been collecting for the E-rod....

Stay tuned!

Metal-working panels on the International Harvester

                              Another day of metal working on the International Harvester. Using the hammer and dolly, I roughed out the worst sections of the panels that are currently sitting in the box. Once everyhting is as close as I can can get it by eye, I'll be able to bolt it up to check the alignment of each against its mounting point.

As well, I'm continuing to cover the rusted sections with Metal Ready 
in order to treat the rust that I won't be able to get at with the grinder: